According to the National Fire Protection Association, there is a need for safety precautions during holiday cooking season especially with Thanksgiving around the corner.
- Thanksgiving is the source of the most cooking fires with the leading cause of unattended cooking
- An estimated 46% of reported house fires started by cooking
- More than half of cooking injuries (non-fatal) fire injuries took place when the person attempted to put the fire out themselves
- 1 out of 6 home fire deaths were caused by home cooking equipment
- Cooking equipment factored into 18% of home decoration fires
The NFPA chart’s below categorizes home cooking fires based on the contributing cause.
(Reported statistics from 2010-2014 in the U.S.)
NFPA November 2016