Tips to stay cool in the heat
After a long & rainy July, I think we’re all looking forward to the sun & warmth that August is bringing. This next week’s temperatures are going to be scorching, so here are some tips & tricks for staying cool when temperatures rise.
- Drink Water! Staying hydrated in this type of heat is absolutely the best thing you can do for yourself. I personally like to add either fresh sliced fruits or basil to add some flavor to switch things up a bit.
- Air Conditioning-Even if you don’t have it, now that things have started to open back up you could visit a museum, go to the library, go window shopping at the mall, visit a friend who has it, really wherever you would feel most comfortable & safe.
- If you are able, install blackout curtains to help to keep the sun from making your space warmer.
- Avoid the sun when it’s at its peak-typically between the hours of 10am-3pm.
- Wear loose & breathable clothing (cotton is always a good choice)!
- Eat cold foods-salads, smoothies, popsicles, or-my personal favorite-cereal.
- Keep a spray bottle with water, or a facial toning mist such as rose water in the fridge and spray it on your face throughout the day. You’ll be cooling yourself down and taking care of your skin all at the same time.
- Take a quick bath or shower with cool or tepid water.
- Bonus! Make sure that your pets have enough water-throw in an ice cube or two to cool it down further. Have a fan blowing on them (just make sure they can move away from it if they get too cold). You can even get tile samples from your local hardware store and put them in the freezer and take them out for them to lay on (freezing water bottles is another great option).
That’s it! Have fun, and stay cool!